Are there wildcards?
Yes, there are 5 different types of wildcards which allow riders to participate directly in the World Championships without qualification:
• Defending World Champions (from the last UCI Gran Fondo World Championships) are automatically qualified.
• All UGFWS qualifier events get 5 wildcards for the time trial and road race that they can use for riders who missed qualification due to exceptional circumstances (crash, mechanical problems, etc.)
• All countries not hosting a UCI Gran Fondo World Series qualifier event get 10 wildcards (5 men/5 women) for their best riders. These wildcards are distributed by each National Federation.
• All countries can send their Masters National Champions (road race in and time trial only) without qualification. Although some countries organize masters’ national championships for other disciplines (criterium, hill climb, granfondo), they will not be taken into account for wildcard allocations. These wildcards are distributed by the respective National Federation.
• The host nation of the World Championships benefits from an additional 20 wildcards (for both Time Trial/Road Race). These wildcards are distributed by the respective National Federation.